Moving and living in Ireland

Moving and living in Ireland

Whether you fell in love with the Emerald Isle or you are forced to move to live in Ireland, more paperwork will be needed before you feel fully at home. Follow our step-by-step guide for successfully moving and living in Ireland.


Moving and living in IrelandYour decision is made, you are going to live in Ireland. Knowing that, there is a lot of accommodation provided already furnished but you might as well pick souvenirs, trinkets and furniture with you.

In this case, it is best to opt for door to door move. The remover comes a first time to you (or you can send an email) to estimate the number of  m3 that you will need for your move. Him and his team then engaged in the packaging of your belongings at your place and unpacking your belongings once they reach their destination.

Two modes are used: a specialised truck or a container (type 20 for  31m3 or type 40 for 63 m3). The price between the two modes depends on your country of origin. Do not hesitate to ask for a quote to compare rates and benefits.

It is also possible to opt for the door to door. In this case, you need to follow the administrative procedures to carry out the customs clearance of your belongings.

In case of door to door delivery – follow the administrative procedures to carry out the customs clearance of your belongings

Another option consists in a single carrier that will transport from warehouse to warehouse. The home-warehouse path is then for the customer, as the move itself.

In the case of small volumes (less than 15m3), companies can offer you to group your belongings with belongings of other people in order to reduce the cost of the service.

Remember in all cases to subscribe to an insurance to further protect your assets.

It’s better to get an insurance to protect your assets


Administrative paperwork

If your plan is moving and living permanently in Ireland and you are not a citizen of the EU, you must obtain a simple travel visa D (see our guide Visiting Ireland).

For nationals of an EU Member State, a single passport or an identity card is sufficient.

However, in both cases, you will need to register with the tax authorities. For this you will need to go to your local welfare office (Social Welfare), fill out a form REG 1 (in English) and attach any documents proving your identity and a proof of address. This approach will get you by post a PPS number, that is to say a personal number for utilities.

Don’t forget to register with tax authorities

This PPS number is essential to work in Ireland (see our guide Working in Ireland).


Telephone & Internet

Ideally, when choosing to stay for a long period in a country, it is better to opt for a phone number of that country. This will be much easier to contact you or to call and much less expensive.

If you already have a phone, check (before leaving if possible) that it is unlocked, that is to say capable of receiving a SIM card of another network provider as the one from whom you originally purchased your phone. You can then choose between a package or prepaid SIM card from one of the Irish operators (Vodafone, Three…). You choose according to your needs.

Select a package or a prepaid SIM card according to your needs

For Internet, unlimited offers may seem expensive compared to other countries. Allow at about 65 euros for a basic service, coupled with a TV subscription. You can also opt for a limited amount of data, less expensive, but also less stable in terms of connection. The service comes in the form of a USB key to connect to his computer.



Moving and living in IrelandAnd what about your pets?

A European passport system for pets allows you to bring your pet (dogs, cats, ferrets …), without passing through the “Quarantine”. However, you will have to plan ahead so that everything is in order. Indeed, there are several conditions to be met.

The animal, aged at least three months, must come from an approved country and travel on an approved company. Necessarily accompanied by their owner or responsible accompanying person, he is carrying a chip corresponding to the ISO11784 standard or Annex A to the ISO11785 standard. Your pet must be vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before the trip. Between 24 and 120 hours before the ferry or the airport, you will administer him a treatment against fleas and intestinal worms.

Finally, the European pet passport must be completed, signed and stamped by a vet. The animal will then travel in the hold (most often) or by cab (for small ones less than 8 kg and subject to acceptance of the airline or shipping company). The biggest ones (over 75 kg) will be transported by cargo:

Outside the EU, there are two categories of countries: low-risk eligible countries and high-risk ineligible countries. For low-risk countries, in addition to vaccines, treatments and chip aforementioned above, you have to present a Veterinary Certificate issued or approved by the competent authorities in the country of origin.

Pet passport must be completed, signed and stamped by a vet. Vaccinate and treat your animal before the trip. 

The animals from non EU high risk countries should also undergo a blood test after receiving the vaccine against rabies at least three months before its entry into Ireland.



For owners outside the EU, the animal will be automatically quarantined to proceed audits.

If the animal from the EU is not in good standing at the finish in the Irish State, it will be quarantined for a maximum period of four months. In some cases, it can even be returned to his country of origin.

Transfer costs, detention and quarantine are the responsibility of the owner or of the accompanying person responsible for the animal.



For birds, rabbits and domestic rodents from an EU member country, you must send 24 hours at the latest before you arrive to Ireland the form “Notice import of domestic birds in Ireland.” You must also travel with a domestic birds Ownership Statement duly completed.

Outside the EU, you must apply for an import permit, using the form for a domestic bird or a rabbit or form for a domestic rodent. You must send the request to the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, “Animal Health and Welfare Division,” in sufficient time to enable the prerequisites for export, including a veterinary health certificate, to be fulfilled.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *