Working in Ireland

Working in Ireland: few steps to follow

Expatriate in Ireland, you apprehend the steps to obtain a work permit, understand your company’s payroll or declare your income. Learn the rules to address the world of Irish labor with confidence and start working in Ireland.

Working in Ireland: the Work Permit

To work in Ireland, citizens of the EU, EEA, Swiss (and all persons granted refugee status) do not require any authorisation to be employed. However, certain steps will be required to open your rights, such as obtaining a PPS number (see Moving and living in Ireland).

For other countries, citizens must apply for an employment permit. There are four types: Green Card, work permits, intra-company transfer permits and work permits for spouses and family members.


The Green Card is issued to highly skilled immigrant workers. This category includes individuals with specific skills (see the short list of professions) whose annual salary is between 30 000 and 60 000 euros, and all professions whose remuneration exceeds 60,000 euros.

Since July 15, 2013 you can also be issued an interview authorization for a highly quality employment in order to stay in Ireland for passing job interviews up to 90 days.

The Green Card is issued for specific professionals with salary between 30,000 and 60,000 euros

For all other professions, you will have to get a work permit or an employment permit. However, there are also exceptions to this rule (Consult the Department of Enterprise Site, trade and innovation).

Among these exceptions, the partners and family members who are entitled to a specific work permit. In short, this permit is a way to facilitate their access to employment, for example by opening some positions normally inaccessible.

Another exception: Students, who can work without work permits for a period of 20 hours week during school time and full time during holidays. There is also a working holiday authorization for Canadian citizens, Australians, New Zealanders, Japanese, Argentine, American, Taiwanese, South Korean and Hong Kong citizens.

Partners and family members are entitled to a specific work permit

Finally, Ireland seeks to facilitate the migration of executives, foreign employees and trainees of multinational companies, transferred to an Irish subsidiary. These nationals will benefit from a different type of license relating to the intra-company transfer program.

Ireland facilitates the migration of executives, foreign employees and trainees of multinational companies 

Applications for work permits or Green Cards can be performed by yourself or by your future employer with the Service responsibility for Labour Permit (Employment Permits Section) of the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation.



In Ireland, it is common to receive a payslip on a weekly wage. But it can also be paid in the month.

The income tax is deducted directly at source by PAYE “Pay as you earn”. Hence the need to pass to your employer from the beginning of your cooperation your PPS number so he will deduct tax directly from your salary. This will directly pay your taxes without any additional steps to take.

From the beginning of your cooperation pass your PPS number to your employer so he will deduct tax directly from your salary

In Ireland you will pay also the PRSI (social contributions) and the Universal Social Charge (health contributions / illness).


Taxes and tax systems

Working in IrelandAfter you receive your PPS number, obtain the form 12A from the tax administration. After having duly completed and returned it, you will receive a notice of determination of your tax credits and your tax and the standard rate limit. This review will also be sent to your employer so that he could make good tax deductions from your pay.

Otherwise, you will pay the “Emergency tax”, a kind of basic tax deductions for Employees who have not completed all the paperwork.

Duly complete the form 12A; otherwise, you will have to pay the “Emergency tax”

End of employment

When a working collaboration ends, be sure to ask your employer a P45 form. You will need it to request a tax refund during unemployment or ask for social assistance (Social Welfare).

If you change employers, you can directly hand over the document to avoid paying this emergency tax.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *